Sunday, March 7, 2010

I WENT TO THIS EVENT A FEW DAYS AGO - MORE INFO.

On green living: First of all, I live in my version of a reasonably responsible lifestyle, although I don't take it to extremes. I think that the little steps add up a great deal.

For an instance since childhood, I have always turned off any light I am not using. I was taught to do that by my parents. Next, although I drive 10 or 12 cyl. sports cars a lot, and a truck that hauls my horse trailers - I do park in one spot and do a lot of walking while doing chores in town. I don't mind walking a half mile or more, and it's good for your weight. It bugs me when my friends climb back into their cars and drive to a parking lot just across the wide street.

Also, having your own organic garden is a big move toward green. I grow a lot my own veggies, and teach my friends and neighbors how to grow. We make our own soil form composting table scraps. I avoid toxins such as industrial bug sprays. You can buy a bag of lady bugs, and that usually does the trick!

I don't go as far as to go vegan, and I will advocate the right to eat meat. But let's go back to free range organic grass fed meat. I eat meat because I run 3 to 4 miles, swim a quarter mile on certain days, and surf and other sports on the other days. I need to have the right fuels for my body, and will eat like my ancestors. I'm talking about the ones that lived here before Europeans landed on this bit of land.

I'm a big advocate of the slow food movement, and sustainable farming. I love farming, and grew up on one. But I detest the big industrial farms that had replaced family farms back in the 1980's. Industrial farming is suspect to me, and it's a big environmental mistake. Anyone remember FarmAid and how rock stars advocated small family farms?

Around the house and yard, and at work, there are lot's of little steps I do to consider the bigger picture and the world. But I don't like too many new laws. A better answer is education, and lowering of the birth rate via freeing women of the social pressure to have kids.

It's ok to be childless. We already have too many people, almost 7 billion people. In fact, I'd love to show that it's cool to choose not to have kids. We need to be supportive of our friends and family that do choose not to have kids.

And here's my biggest thing to say about going greener. We need to develop technologies that work, and I believe we can. The engineering is out there, and the minds of smart engineers are ready to innovate. What is needed is the incentive to go ahead a design green cars, planes and industrial complexes. We need to find a way to make green profitable so that companies can afford to pay for retooling and R & D. Research and engineering isn't cheap!

We need to give very low interest rates and very low taxes to those companies, farms and affluent individuals that innovate for green.

All that said, here is an interesting video from the event I went to, where I simply had fun. I was more into the rock and roll, but yes, there's some green things we can do. Just thought I'd say something about it, so that it isn't just party animal banter.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjSGKYKzfdg

No comments:

Post a Comment